Below you will find links to book reviews which I have posted on my blog. You may find additional short reviews and/or ratings of other books I have read by visiting my Goodreads account.
If have written a book you would like me to review, please scroll to the bottom for guidelines.
A Heartwarming Thanksgiving – a collection of 13 short stories by Amy Vastine, Liz Flaherty, Leigh Riker, Jennifer Snow, Sophia Sasson, Tara Taylor Quinn, Melinda Curtis, Karen Rock, & more.
Love at First Laugh – Eight Romantic Novellas Filled with Love, Laughter, and Happily Ever After by Krista Phillips, Pepper Basham, Christina Coryell, Heather Gray, Elizabeth Maddrey, Jessica Patch, Laurie Tomlinson, & Marion Ueckermann
In addition to purchasing/borrowing and reviewing books on my own, I also review books for:
Disclosure of Material: If you see any of the above images in the body of my book review, it means that I have received a copy of that book for free for the purposes of review (although I frequently also purchase a retail copy of my favorites). NONE of these programs/organizations require me to give a positive review. The opinions I have expressed on this blog and elsewhere are 100% sincere and 100% my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s CFR Title 16, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
My promise to readers:
As a reader myself, I would never agree to give a dishonest review. I know how many books there are to read and how relatively little time we readers have to read them. I would never waste your time or betray your trust with a dishonest review.
My Rating System:
1 star = You must allow me to tell you how ardently I detest and loathe this book.
2 stars = I didn’t hate it, but I can’t honestly recommend someone else spend their time and/or money on it.
3 stars = I sincerely enjoyed it and recommend it, but there were some issues.
4 stars = I loved it, but it wasn’t perfect.
5 stars = You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love this book!
MY POLICY ON NEGATIVE (1-2 star) REVIEWS:
If I cannot give a book at least 3 stars, my first choice is to decline to post a full review on my blog, but I will share my feedback with the author/publisher privately. I do this for three reasons
- Out of respect for the work an author has put in, regardless of my assessment of the results.
- My full reviews take a good deal of my limited blogging time, thus I will never have enough time to write all the reviews I wish to and must, therefore, be choosy about those on which I spend my time.
- I know readers have a limited amount of time to read reviews as well as books. Thus I choose to use my modest platform to share the books I believe are worth a reader’s time.
Therefore, if I have committed to reading a book for the purpose of review yet find that I cannot give it more than two stars, I will first contact the author/publisher/book tour organization and inform them that I would prefer to decline to post my review on this blog. If they then request that I go ahead with the review anyway, I will do so with tactful honesty, giving it the one or two stars I feel it warrants and clearly explaining the problems I see.
If you would like me to review a particular book not already listed here, please READ GUIDELINES BELOW before emailing me.
Genres I am open to reviewing:
- Romance – most subgenres
- Historical Fiction – most subgenres
- (Limited) Fiction that is technically categorized neither as a historical nor as a romance but has a strong romantic subplot.
- (Limited) Nonfiction Christian Market – BUT I am *very* picky. I will not review/promote nonfiction books which contrast with my basic theological beliefs. Please email me for details.
Genres I do not review:
- Nonfiction General Market – Exception: Nonfiction American History or historical reference books which are related to the novels I write/review. Examples: The Art of the Mantua Maker, A Good Camp: Gold Mines of Julian and the Cuyamacas
IMPORTANT NOTE: I will only review clean/sweet romance books and I dislike books with excessive profanity. Please understand that I will not review anything that I believe would be offensive to the Christian market (i.e. presenting sex outside of marriage in a positive/encouraging light). If you aren’t certain whether your book qualifies, email me to discuss it.
Please include the following information in your request email:
- Which market are you aiming for? (General Market or Christian Market)
- What genre and/or subgenre is your book? Which shelf would I find it on in a bookstore?
- What is the word count of your book?
- The blurb/back cover copy for your book.
- If this is your first novel- Who, besides yourself, has critiqued/edited your book? Are you accustomed to critical feedback?
- If you are not indie publishing- Who is your publisher?
- Do you have a time frame for when you would like the review shared (i.e. around a release date or discount promo period)?
Request Emails may be sent to: WriteKathleenDenly@gmail.com