Today’s post is inspired by a Pinterest find. In looking over other writing prompts, I realized I had a few of my own simmering in my imagination and waiting to be shared. Lucky you, I decided to share them today. 🙂
- What if children were 100% obedient 100% of the time? How might that change the world? What might cause such a scenario? How would it affect the role of a parent?
- Think of your earliest memory. Write that story. Then change just one critical piece of the story. Write it again.
- Imagine a situation where you had to eat the same meal over and over and over again for the rest of your life. What caused this? Is it a health problem? A food shortage? A sadistic dystopian government?
- Imagine you woke up in the middle of your favorite book. Which chapter are you in? How does your presence effect the story?
- Look around you and pick an inanimate object. What if that object suddenly started speaking to you?
- Describe the worst possible day you can imagine, beginning with the moment you woke up. Then rewrite it and make it worse.
- Write a letter to the President apologizing for causing a national disaster or diplomatic crisis… or both.
- Pretend you’re Dr. Seuss and create a new kind of animal. Describe it in detail. Don’t forget to explain where it lives, what it eats, and how it behaves.
- Look around you for printed text. Pick three words at random and incorporate them into a story.
- Think of three people you know, but who don’t know each other. Tell a story of how they might meet and what might happen when they do. (HINT: It’ll probably be more interesting if their meeting is not arranged by you.)
If you use any of these prompts, please let me know!
If you feel comfortable sharing your work in the comments, I’d be thrilled to read it.
If you like what you just read and want more, CLICK HERE to sign up to follow my blog! 🙂